Re: paintng stock mg wheels

To: Swkintx@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: paintng stock mg wheels
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:33:07 EDT
In a message dated 9/15/99 8:18:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Swkintx@aol.com
writes:

<< I have a 79 midget and the wheels look pretty shabby. i have seen the
 templates in the catalogs to help in painting these. i have also heard the
 templates dont work very well. does anyone have any advice for a novice
 painter that would like his rims to look better? >>

I repainted the Rostyles on my Midget without the templates, but I am not
looking for concours quality.

I had the wheels sandblasted and primed.  At this point, I SHOULD have used
some sort of rust preventer on the welds inside the wheels, but I didn't and
they rusted a bit.  I have since corrected that.

Then I sprayed the whole wheels, both sides, with Eastwood Detail Silver.  I
then used a small brush and painted the insides black with a satin finish.
>From 10' away they look great.

If you are after super quality you should spray the black part.  You can
probably use good masking tape (the 3M blue stuff) to mask the silver.

Just my 2 cents.  YMMV.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport