MGB Update

Subject: MGB Update
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 20:32:25 -0500
My 76 B running again is closer to being a
reality.  My car came with the dealer installed
A/C but it has never worked.  So I am getting it
working.  I also converted to dual SU HIF4s.  Then
I removed the interior and installed thick
insulation (thanks Pokrefke!).

So far the A/C has been tough.  I have no
provisions for mounting the (York?) compressor.
It's the round type, much bigger than the
alternator but goes in the alternator spot.  I
have a belt that fits, but no way of tightening
it.  The drier is in, and hoses/fittings are being
gathered.  The condenser is on the way too.  Today
I found out that my expansion valve has blown up.
Hmmm, so that's why the A/C never worked.
Luckily  I work at a place that can pressure test
the system for leaks, and has R-134a in
abundance.  Big thanks to whomever (I forget who)
told me about Classic Auto Air in Florida; they're
a big help and their prices are great!

Today I finally started my B for the first time
w/the SUs.  At first, the front carb spewed forth
gasoline. I removed the float lid and wiggled the
float around, and all is better.  I have the
factory exhaust manifold and Y pipe, but it's not
connected to a muffler.  Car sounds really good
without a muffler; sounds like a real MG -
something my Zenith carb'd car could never do.
Will weld up the muffler soon.  I didn't really
touch the carbs, just bolted them on.  The
linkages are all run, but the car idles at
2000rpms.  Revs really easily though, so it will
take some tuning to get the car running well.

Hopefully I'll have a nice B again by the
weekend.  Parts are coming in almost daily; should
be perfect as fall driving season is among us.

--
Tyson Sherman
mts3@ra.msstate.edu