Re: MGB Timing

To: "Martin C. Jones" <M.C.Jones@staffs.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: MGB Timing
From: "mowog77 bootknocker" <mowog77@theglobe.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 06:11:34 -0700
 Martin,

Set it statically at first to get it started, then set it dynamically.
When you set it dynamically, you can go by the book, but the book is telling
you the setting for a car that is brand new, your car is 21 years old and will
be somewhat different in what it likes to be set at.
I found this out with my 77.

The best way to set your timing is with a vacuum gauge.
Hook up a vacuum gauge to an intake manifold port, then advance/retard for the
smoothest/highest rpms and highest vacuum.

Then adjust your carbs until your idle is between 800 and 1000 rpms.

Erik.
--

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:16:19   Martin C. Jones wrote:
>I want to set the ignition timing dynamically on my 1978
>BGT but I've read conflicting information in a few of the
>books(the degrees BTDC vary widely)
>
>My engine number is 18V847H
>
>It has also had its heads converted to unleaded.
>
>Thanks
>
>Martin

The Globe
  Your friendly full-service integrated online community.
  http://www.theglobe.com