Re: Forduar at Palo Alto

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Forduar at Palo Alto
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:55:12 -0700
No doubt about it--the Ford powered Jaguar funny car at Palo Alto was
something to see.  As an artistic commentary, it was spot on about
the new corporate owners of Jaguar.  It is also a continuation of the
British tradition of the "special" or the Allard-type hotrod, going
back to Austin 7s and aero-engined monsters of the Twenties and
Thirties.

The American hotrod is also one of the last bastions of coachbuilding
craftsmanship and training ground for those who will keep British
iron running into the next century.  I was talking to the guy who
restored the Arnolt-MG, and we both remarked on the fact that
automotive industrial training is declining in the U.S.  He had his
panelwork repaired by a German guy.  Most of the British car
restorers I've met have been trained overseas.  Most body shops won't
touch a straightforward restoration with a ten foot pole--long live
the customizers!
Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6