TD Fuel Tank - internal rust

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Fuel Tank - internal rust
From: Adam Arabian <arabian@allegronet.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:55:25 -0400
Time to stop lurking - I've got a Problem (yes, capital P)

I purchased a '52 TD and have been slowly working on the restoration.
I've pretty much finished disassembly, and am looking at beginning to
actually 'fix' things.  The vehicle was vandalized back in 1965, and has
pretty much sat ever since.  Unfortunately, part of the damage that was
done was to perforate the fuel tank, which was never taken care of.  The
result being that the inside of the tank appears to have pretty
substantial surface rust.  My question is this:  I can cut the back off
the tank, sandblast it out, and reweld it.  No biggie (I think...The
steel appears to be thick enough to not lose integrity by this process,
but if someone has an opinion on this, I'm all ears...) BUT I presume I
still need to seal the interior surface of the tank.  Do standard
primers (epoxy, etc.) hold up to gas long term?  Is there something else
I can use?  Is it even an issue since ideally water shouldn't be in
tehre anyway?  Or am I looking at a replacement type issue?

Thanks,
Adam Arabian

PS: I've been lurking for some time and I have to say this is one of the
best mailing lists I've ever been on.  You guys (in the non-sexist use
of the word 'guys') have been extremely helpful, and I've seen
surprisingly few flames, save for the people who deserve it ;)  Well
done.

--
Michigan State University
Masters Program, Department of Mechanical Engineering