Re: #3 valve won't fully open

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>
Subject: Re: #3 valve won't fully open
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:25:45 -0500
"M. Edwin Vaughan" wrote:

> Hello Listers,
>
> I was recently setting my valve clearances and noticed that the #3 valve
> (Intake) would NOT fully open. What could be causing this?
>
> TIA
>
> Edwin
> '77 B
>
> "I try to think But nuthin' happens."
>            -- Curly Howard (the stooge)
>
>         The MG Filling Station
> http://www.auburn.edu/~vaughme

My guess would be a cam w/ a flat lobe.  If you had a stuck, or sticking,
valve it puts a great amount of pressure, spelled W-E-A-R, on the cam.  I'm
sure one of the experts can fully explain how and why but the cam is
hardened for only a short depth.  After that, they will wear w/ amazing
speed.

-
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO