Re: Something rubbing in the rear - B Squeaks caused by new springs?

To: "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Something rubbing in the rear - B Squeaks caused by new springs?
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:22:46 -0500
This is interesting. I installed 7 leaf springs in my CBB several months
ago. The car sat up high for a while and then settled down to a normal
stance after a couple of months. I JUST noticed today a very slight
squeaking sound (proportionate to the wheels turning, and then drowned out
with engine and wind noise as I accelerate) coming from the rear.
It sounds like the U-joint may be going bad and I've caught it early. I
haven't done a visual on it yet. Did replacing the springs and the
tube-shock conversion accelerate wear on the U-joint?
What are the chances it's the U-joint or should I look elsewhere first? I've
never heard of anyone replacing rear wheel bearings on a B! (come to think
of it, what ARE the turning surfaces on the rear wheels on my B???)
I recently replaced the U-joints on my Tahoe (which are much heavier), so I
know that the procedure is relatively simple and inexpensive. Should I just
replace the joints and be done with it or actually troubleshoot? ;)

Dan