Re: Testing starter engine

To: Enrique Claure <spaninc@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Subject: Re: Testing starter engine
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:09:29 -0400
Enrique Claure wrote:

> Hi list, haynes recommends installing the starter Motor before putting in
> the engine. I decided to test it before installing but could not get the
> motor to rotate? On the selenoid there are two big copper screws and two
> spade connectors.

  The big copper screws are generally 12V right to the battery, and the
other
right to the starter. The solenoid "connects" these two plugs electrical
when it's time to start.

  The two small spades are usually the 12V signal that comes from
the ignition switch to engage the solenoid, and the other one goes
to the ignition coil to bypass the ballast resistor during starting.

  The two spades MIGHT be electrically connected on the starter.

> Should the starter spin? or do you get a clunck of
> the selenoid arm? Help! Enrique

  When you apply 12V to the spade terminal and ground the
body of it, you should get a "click" as the solenoid closes,
and the two copper screws should be electrically connected.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca