Sticky Valve?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sticky Valve?
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 19:20:02 EDT
Today my TD suddenly started making a terrible tapping racket while at
highway speed. I had to limp home at 20 mph. This has happened twice before
in the last two years. The last two times the noise was much diminished after
the engine had cooled off, and gradually disappeared altogether with gentle
driving. It sounds like valve noise to me. Is this the symptom of a sticky
valve? If so, is there any quick cure? Should I pull the head and have my
mechanic rebuild it? (It's a long drive to my mechanic, I'd have to use a
trailer to take the whole car.) Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336