Mobile again! <G>

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mobile again! <G>
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:08:31 +1000
Hi all,

Wow, my first drive in the A for a month! This morning I re-bled the brakes
and adjusted the rear shoes. Now the braking is pretty spot on. I also tuned
her up, and got her running nice and smooth. She seems to sit just under
180F whilst running, and goes up to just under 200F sitting in traffic.
Don't know if thats ok or not, but she seems happy. Will probably be better
in traffic once I get this electric thermo. fan installed.

Had an interesting dilemna last night! When I started her, I had zero
pressure on the Oil gauge! *gulp* I switched her off immediately suspected
the rebuilt temp guage. But first, I removed the copper line that goes from
flexible pipe attached to the block, to the back of the oil pressure gauge.
Trying to blow through this, with a length of pipe attached, showed me the
pipe itself was blocked! Phew! I didn't want to remove that silly gauge
again! ArrggH!!! About an hour stuffing around, trying to push solvent
through the line with that ole faithful plastic syringe <G> finally cleared
it, and I had oil pressure again!

Today driving, the car feels a lot different, I really notice the dodgy
shocks on the LHS (I can see they've been leaking) and the 15yr old tyres,
not to mention the awful shake at 60mph. Yuk. Lots more to do. The throttle
also feels different, harder, probably thanks to that MGB throttle return
spring. May have to get an alternative as it makes the throttle seem less
progressive. Hmm.

As for the brakes, I haven't had the opportunity to give them a huge shove,
but they seem very strong and not much pressure needed to pull her up
quickly and smoothly. I also did the wheel bearings btw. Umm, the only weird
thing was on the way into town, the front right wheel area let out a little
judder when I braked - just the once. Has me a bit worried,but everything
seems nice and tight. Might check that front RHS castle nut tonight -
paranoia. <G>

I'm sure there will be lots of niggling little things to adjust between now
and the weekend, there always is. <G>

Cheers,
Neil.