RE: Aus built MG's (was Distributor advance curves)

To: "'Max Heim'" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: RE: Aus built MG's (was Distributor advance curves)
From: "Pearson, Tim" <tpearson@westpac.com.au>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 18:16:33 +1000
Ah yes,well, mine is an Australian built one. MGB roadsters were built from
CKD kits in Aus from ?1963-1972. (have to check - figures at home). GT's
were imported. Aus built cars were prefixed with a Y, eg YGHN3. They had
their own chassis numbers, starting from 501.
Aus built Mk 1's had as standard front anti-roll bars, oil coolers, wire
wheels, and ash trays. Aus Mk 2's had  OD standard, and some extra badging.
Local content included upholstery, trim, glass, hoods, paint (with different
colours; ie my white roadster is Nurburg White, whereas an Abingdon built 66
is Old English White) and assembly. Rust protection was better on a Aus
built roadster (fully dipped shell - not that that makes a sod of difference
after 30 years).
Aus built prefixes were YGHN3 for Mk 1's (non OD); YGHN4 for Mk 1's (OD),
and YGHN5-10 for Mk 2's

So now you know why I've got a wierd chassis number. Sorry you asked
yet?????

cheers.....

Tim

(who's hoping for good weather on the long weekend to take the B on a long
wine tasting trip up to the Hunter Valley)