Re: ? about Re: UK Parts Outlet

To: David Moore <davohnoo@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: ? about Re: UK Parts Outlet
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 15:29:13 -0500
David Moore wrote:

> How does ordering from UK suppliers work for us in the US?  Do we pay the
> VAT?  Anyone out there with experience?

Yup, me. UK items ordered from the USA, Canada, etc. do not pay VAT.

Items bought in UK and taken out of the country to US, etc: you pay the
VAT, but you get a special form filled out and signed by the seller. You
then present this to the customs blokes at the airport *before you check
your bags, since they will want to see the items*. They then stamp the
form as accepted. You send the form back to the original seller and he
either sends you a cheque (not good, since it costs to cash them outside
the UK) or credits your credit card (good).

I usually just hang onto the forms and get the refunds the next time I
visit.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com