Re: Welding cast iron and carb question

To: "Eugene Harrison" <eugh@2xtreme.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding cast iron and carb question
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:34:17 -0700
Eugene..........

Typically, these manifolds do not accept being welded, whatever type of
rod/gas/whatever is used.  They appear to have been cast from some pretty
awful steel that warps, bends, cracks, etc. from the heat of the cat.
I've seen many that have been welded and brazed, but none where that was
truly successful.

As to the oil in (or, as you say, not in) your  Z-S, there should be an
o-ring at the bottom of the damper rod tube, around the holder for the
needle. This latter is retained by a star washer. You have to drop the
needle out, then drive the holder and the star washer up the tube from the
bottom (which usually scores the tube so badly that the new o-ring will get
damaged when you install it! But, hey, I didn't design the system!) After
fitting the new o-ring, push the needle holder back down the tube and
re-connect the needle. Oil should then be retained for at least a few weeks

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center