Stupid studs!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stupid studs!
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 00:59:32 +1000
Hi everyone,

I spent another day slaving over under and around the A on the weekend. I
tried everything to get these frozen thermostat studs out and inevitably
failed. Here's the results.

Penetrant, ionic or what ever it is did nothing even after 2 days wait.
Penetrant and Heat, same result.
Cam type Stud Extractor. Snapped all three studs. Stupid piece of junk won't
even removed ok studs and all that for a mere $60! (AUD)
Special drills, stepped up in side, and tried easyout. No 'easyout' was had!
Used a 5lb pen type magnet to keep the swarf at bay.
Now I have 2 shells left in the head, and half a stud. :( I didn't mess up
the head at all, left a little less than a mm of stud before the threads.
Even after all that the stupid things wouldn't budge.

So anyway, I took the head off and stripped it. While I'm getting these
studs removed and helicoils installed, I'll replace the guides, seats and
valves. A couple of the guides are really shot, so heck I suppose it will be
worth it, at least to be able to use Unleaded fuel. Super is getting pricy
and the octane keeps getting lower and lower.

Still have that UJ to reassemble and I'm finding it very difficult to track
down the front end play. I've decided to leave that, and just get the wheels
balanced and go from there.

Ciao,
Neil.