Re: Decent Heat

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Decent Heat
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:11:38 -0700
To summarize so far:

*High flow fan (Costello, I believe) from Seven Enterprises.  I've
tried this in a GT, and it does improve things some--lighter, bigger
squirrel-cage vanes, less well ballanced.

*Flush out heater core.

*Make sure the heater valve works.

*Install higher temperature thermostat.

*Cover part of radiator in extreme conditions (and maybe oil cooler
if applicable).

To which I would add:

*Check polarity of heater leads.  I'm not certain, but in some
articles (Porter, Twist?) on switching battery polarity, they mention
that fan rotation and efficiency can be affected by polarity.  So if
polarity has been changed, or someone has reconnected the fan at some
time, this could be a possibility.

While we're talking about heat, there's the defroster:

*Are defroster hoses properly sealed/clamped?  Three of the four on
my car were missing, and the fit was poor--making a bad situation
worse.

*If someone has taken out the heater box at one time, was it put back
in right?  There is a wedge-like rubber/foam seal that is often
missing 'cause it was unavailable or annoying to replace.  If the
nylon tubes that connect the bottom of the box to the rubber elbows
and flex hoses are not lined up right, a lot of the squirrel-breath
that passes for defroster heat gets lost, too.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6