Re: MGB tranny help needed

To: "Pete Ryner" <pryner@ij.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB tranny help needed
From: "Ian & Liz" <liz.ian@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:55:34 +1300
-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Ryner <pryner@ij.net>
To: mgs@autox.team.net <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sunday, October 17, 1999 5:08 AM
Subject: MGB tranny help needed

>I've started tearing down my MGB transmission for overhaul and have hit a
>snag getting the snap rings out which hold the needle bearings inside the
>laygear.  I got one end out, am struggling with the other end (can't get it
>to start out of the groove, the angle on the end of the ring broke off), an
>am baffled how to get the one out for the third bearing.  It is way down
>inside the laygear and I can't conceive of how to get to it with any type
of
>tool.  Any experience or help out there?   Thanks in advance.
>Pete Ryner
>
>'66 MGB
Pete

It pretty frustrating all right -

I made a tool from a screwdriver.

 Get a good quality screwdriver with a tempered blade, the type that has
tapered shoulders, not the type where the blade is the same width as the
shaft,  about 7 inches long overall, and has a tip about 1/8" wide at the
end.

File the sides of the flats to an angle like so a cross section through the
blade looks like this.
                                              ______
                                             /-----------\

Next you will have to file the tip to a size where the tip will only just go
into the gap in the end of the snap ring.

The next bit is a bit hard to describe, but by wriggling, pushing, twisting
and a few naughty words you will be able to ease one end of the ring out of
the groove, and pull it back with something. I have another screwdriver that
has an edge filed to form a hook, I use this to ease the ring back away from
its groove.

If the snap rings have undercut ends, this method works readily. I
understand that there are replacement snap rings from Moss that have square
ends. I have heard that this method will work with them as well, but with
some difficulty.  I would advise replacing the rings if they get a bit
mangled by the removal process, and perhaps if they are the square ended
type, they could be undercut a bit with a touch of grinding. This will save
you from being called a *&#@(DPO at some future date. A 4" angle grinder
with a cut off wheel would be narrow enough to go through the opening in a
new ring. Clamp the grinder in a vise or similar, and just touch the inside
square end of the ring to put a 45 deg champher on each end. Clean up any
burrs with carborundum paper. .

If my description of the filing up of the screwdrivers is not the best,
email me and I will send a sketch direct.

IanF

                                              _