Re: Maintaining the breed (was:club apathy)

To: "M. Edwin Vaughan" <edvaughan@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Maintaining the breed (was:club apathy)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:21:32 -0400
Well Here is my 2¢.

I don't have a concours class car. Probably never will. I like to drive
it too damn much. I won't replace the mirrors to get the old tiny chrome
ones that came with the car. The chrome wires are not original either.

I still go to shows. I still put my car in the shows. I enjoy see what
others have done to and with their cars. Then I get to show them a daily
drive, driven by a guy with limited funds to keep the car running. I
still like to drive the Midget. Very few people pay too much attention to
my car, just the cooler full of beer ;-)

I get a shot at Diamond in the Rough once in a while and that's cool. At
MG 98 I entered my car and it was so bad DD had to polish the hood so I
wouldn't embarrass myself - I didn't care. I drove the car 200+ miles to
the show and put it in anyway. There was a Midget in the show with big
rust holes in the wings - he shoulda got the diamond in the rough. Don't
know if he did. But it was in the show.

Yea I like the shows, but mostly for meeting folks from the list and see
how much care others put into their cars, whether they drive them or not.
To be honest - I don't appreciate the "trailer queens" or the purchased
restorations, but somebody cared enough about the cars to fix them up so
they are that way, rolling museum pieces. In the popular vote shows I
always vote for the obvious drivers, but popular vote is just that - my
choice. I tend to vote for list members cars cuz I know these folks. And
I don't like the hosting club voting only for members, but I don't worry
about it too much.

One of the bigger shows I have attended is the Lanco (PA) Clubs Taste of
Britain show. There ain't no steenkin awards at that show. But there is
always a huge turnout. Of all marques. That show is too much fun.

Another reason I go to the shows is the chance for a dozen or more cars
to get in a caravan and cruise together. Going to the Rocks this year we
had 12 or 13 MG's in a line cruising down the road. I was at the end of
the line and seeing all those cars was too cool. That is really the best
part of the shows - the drive.

For me, and a large group of others on this list the shows are for 3
things - meeting other listers, showing off their drivers and DRIVING to
the show.

So I still will go to the shows!!!

Larry

>This is one of the reasons that I took my 71 from a show car to an
>autocross car.  People don't drive show cars (majority) and these cars
>aren't lawn ornaments.  Our old club in Cleveland used to have some great

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.