Re: MGA Wooden Steering Wheel - help appreciated

To: "Pleczko, Rick" <Rick.Pleczko@MissionCritical.com>
Subject: Re: MGA Wooden Steering Wheel - help appreciated
From: Jim <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:40:31 -0400
Several coats of Spar Varnish will give it a nice thick finish that is quite
weather resistant. A light sanding between coats is a good idea. This is the
"stuff" that is used on wooden boat decks and trim pieces. I would stay away
from polyurethanes because they seem to peel off after a season in the sun,
but that could be a consequence of the type of wood. I have some wood on my
boat finished with spar varnish that is still nice after 5 years, but some
polyurethane peeled after only 2 years. Further, my MGA's wood wheel was
coated 14 years ago and still looks great.

As for a polish for bare aluminum and its alloys, use Simichrome. You can pick
it up in most auto part stores, as well as Moss Motors. As you polish, the
paste will become blackened with aluminum oxide. The black is so fine it will
imbed into the spaces between your molecules and cells. It's tough to clean
your hands afterwards... for days, maybe weeks. Wear a pair of surgical
gloves. When done your wheel will look very elegant.

Have fun.

Jim