Re: Steering Wheel Question

To: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>,
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Question
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:02:29 -0700
I've seen several good responses, but not this idea, so here goes:

How about welding a large knurled knob (I mean about 3 inch diameter) to
the top of the nut?  That should give you enough leverage to tighten the
nut down well enough to drive, but still get it loose with a good twist.
It could replace your steering wheel center hub -- you could even put the
MG logo on it! Make a custom one out of billet...

What made me think of this is the steering column length adjustment on
old Sunbeam Alpines -- you just turned the center hub to loosen the
column, then slid it in or out, and tightened it back up with a clockwise
turn.

My steering wheel was loose for a while -- I kept a crescent wrench and a
slim screwdriver under the seat, and whenever I felt a wobble I'd remove
the horn button and give the nut a crank (this is an aftermarket wood rim
wheel). At any rate, it's not difficult to pull off once the nut is
loose; quite the reverse, in fact, so I think your idea is doable (though
perhaps not advisable).

Come to think of it, what are you planning to do for a horn? Or do you
have the column stalk horn button?

Thomas James Pokrefke, III had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149