Re: Wire wheels

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheels
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:21:54 -0700
"Am I the only one on the list who preferrs the look of painted wires
instead of chromed ones?

   CR"

Charley,

Nope!  If it isn't an original  factory option and doesn't look
better than paint, it isn't worth doing IMHO.  Also, rumor is that
chroming process embrittles spoke.  And the quality of chrome work is
pretty terrible these days.

Most compelling for me, though, is that there are some cars / body
colors that just look better with painted wheels, especially in
colors other than aluminum.  I think MGBs, Morgans, and Austin
Healeys fall into this catagory.  Every once in a while there are
great magazine shots of British vintage racers at full chat, with
black (on a red car) or red (on, say, a black car) or even yellow
(BRG car) wires that look great, and look much more distinctive than
your garden variety aluminum ones do!
Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6