SU-HP Fuel pumps

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU-HP Fuel pumps
From: "Colin Brown" <ccbrown@whitesea.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:09:14 +0100
Since the whole of the USA seems to be discussing diaphragm throw etc! may I
throw in my copper.

Left alone to do its work, I'm sure that the 'delivery flow smoothing
device' is efficient & reliable. ( this is the small 1" diaphragm held in
place with a little metal 'Bowler Hat' and sealed with a black rubber
'O'ring)
Like most MGB owners I  recently had a nasty case of 'asphalt knee' when I
had to resort to tapping my stuttering pump back into life at the roadside
several times, and my 30 year old 'O' ring split on me!
Had she developed a leak there and then I   might have used some gum, but at
midnight, in my dressing gown, the pungent smell of petrol told me all was
not well & I discovered that 8 gallons of fuel were syphoning onto the
floor. Disaster was averted, but only just.
I have learned to treat SU pumps  gently and with the courtesy they deserve
after a year or two of service!,

Colin Brown
'67 Ragtop B