Oil Filter Assembly Seal 79 MGB

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Filter Assembly Seal 79 MGB
From: jmwagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:51:16 -0700
New to the MG list, I don't know if this is a done and redone thread...
but thought I'd share...

This newly acquired 79 MGB had a bad oil leak... I think I've narrowed
it down to the oil filter adapter assembly... on this 79, they have this
set up that
allows for a spin on filter that is verticle/right side up, next to the
block...

I removed this adapting assembly... and found that the gasket on the
block...was as hard as brittle clay...     In original form, this would
have been the gasket under the old type cartridge canisters, being
replaced with regular oil changes... but with this adapter installed...
it's probably ignored for decades...  (I bet this one was the gasket
that came with the car!)

Just something to look at if it applies to you!

--Justin
(Triumph guy that's foster parenting an MGB.)