what is that goo

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: what is that goo
From: David Tulchinsky <tulch@ccsalpha3.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:12:41 -0400
Hi,

I was cleaning out the trunk of my '77B  the other day and
I noticed something decaying just in back of the rear wheel arch
near where the side panel meets the trunk floor.  It
was wedged in the corner on both sides.

Since the PO  had a lot of junk in the car and not knowing
any better, I started to remove it.  It turned out to be a thick
(~1" wide) piece of goo.  At one point it was white-ish in color
(my car is white so this doesn't help, but it did look painted).

What is it.  Is it important? Do I need to replace it??

I'm guessing its caulk of some sort, but why is it there???
(No mention of it in the Moss Catalog, is it OEM??)

-Dave