Re: [MGS] howdy & several questions... (long)

To: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: [MGS] howdy & several questions... (long)
From: Ryan Watson <rswatson@nyx.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 18:15:57 -0600 (MDT)
On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Bart Niswonger wrote:
> But before I do, I would like to say how useful this list is for me.
> I have basically no knowledge, and this list has answered many of my
> questions (without my even asking!).  Its a fabulous resource, and I
> really appreciate all of you who make a living working on these
> things, or just have lived working on these things, or dont have a
> clue but have ideas, throwing me (us?) bones.

Howdy,
I am in a similar position, semi-clueless and appreciative! The MG list
has been very very good to me :-) I recently recieved a lot of help on
my clutch woes. (Speaking of which, I now have a new clutch,
new slave cylinder, and an empty wallet!)

> 2) Has anyone played with putting snazzy sound systems in these cars
> without loosing space/"originality" I have noticed there is a big
> empty space under the rear shelf (where a second battery might go),
> anyone played with using this?

On some cars, a 2nd battery DOES go there. I always thought this would
make good storage (or in your case, a place to mount your subwoofer and cd
changer full of rap music ;-)  Just put in a little cover. You can already
buy battery buckets that fit in there. (anyone tried this?)
Watch out, all that northeast rain my make its way into your dash via the
top vent and toast your stereo!

> 3) I have a squeaking (?) noise from the rear (and sometimes the
> front) wheels when I turn and go over bumps, like turning into a
> driveway, sounding sort of like something is not lubricated, or the
> shocks are wearing oddly.  Ideas of things I might look for?

Wheel bearings? The neighbor's cat? ;-)

Good luck!
Ryan