Re: Mixture adjustment question on Stromberg carb (MGB)

To: <MGALUVR@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mixture adjustment question on Stromberg carb (MGB)
From: "British Sportscar Center" <mgpa@calweb.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:40:30 -0800
First, get a manual! This will show you where the various adjustments are
located.

I'm guessing you are adjusting the air mixture with that tiny screw head in
the plastic fitting on the right  hand side of the carb. That is just a
"fine trimming" screw, for making minute final adjustments. The actual idle
mixture adjuster is inside the piston and it requires a special tool like a
long Allen wrench to turn it. Buy one of those when you buy the
manual..........

The other and, perhaps, more usual cause of a Z-S carb running too rich is
that the automatic choke assembly is not working properly. You can attempt
to make it go off earlier by loosening the three fixing screws and rotating
the top of the housing towards the engine, then tightening the screws again.
If that doesn't fix it, an overhaul is in order.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
www.britcars.com