exhausting subject...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: exhausting subject...
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 11:17:33 EST
    If you have a true 74 1/2, you'll have 2 SU's, and thus the early exhaust
manifold, which brings the 3 ports to a twin pipe set that joins a collector
under the car. The later type is much shorter, goes 3 into1, and is integral
with the intake manifold.
    The PECO is a fine exhaust, (at least mine has been) as are the ones from
Falcon as well. Moss and other typical vendors have them, and on sale I've
seen them sold header, downpipe, muffler and tailpipe for under $400 on
occasion. Of course you can keep the stock exhaust manifold and just buy the
collecter-back section, (about half the price)  but the stock manifold weighs
a whole lot more than the header,  and the B definately benefits in both
sound and performance from the 3/8" or so wider passages of the header.
    The biggest benefit in reality may be the fact that you can get these
systems in a single muffler-no resonator configuration. My PECO is that way,
and it is as about as quiet as stock, but nicer sounding, while giving a good
2INCHES!! more ground clearance under the car due to the resonator not being
there.

Original post-------------------------------------------------
From: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Subject: identifying exhaust manifolds
Howdy -- Its time to replace the exhaust that I basically destroyed
while "learning" to tune (though the speed bumps in California did not
help).  I went back and looked over many of the posts on this subject
in the list archives, and it sound like people like the Peco exhaust
w/ early stock manifold.
My questions:
1) How do I know what manifold I have (its rusty, thats about all I
know - the car is at home, I am not).  The car is a 74.5 B (rubber)
2) Where might one find this Peco exhaust, and what might the cost be?
Thanks much