Hot Air Duct/"Breather pipe"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hot Air Duct/"Breather pipe"
From: kris nelson <krisn@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:27:01 -0800 (PST)
Driving to work today, I noticed my gas gauge dropping faster than normal
(not quite as I watched, but certainly faster than the usual). The car ('77
MGB) has also been running hotter than usual lately. Once at work, I popped
the hood to have a look and found two issues:

(1) the hot air ducting had split--as this helps bring in cooler air when
necessary, I figured this might well have explained the higher engine temps
I'd seen. (Is this likely?)

(2) A hose to nowhere. My Haynes manual calls this the "breather pipe" and
shows it running from the "oil separator/flame trap" to... somewhere. I
don't know where, as the illustration shows it disappearing behind my ZS
carb. A little blind poking in the engine gave no clues as to *where* this
hose should be attached (or even if it should be attached to anything...)

Can anyone help me? And could this "hose to nowhere" even be responsible for
my gas levels dropping more rapidly than normal? I *thought* I smelled a bit
of gas at the disconnected end, but then again, a slight smell of gas is
pretty common around engines, so who knows...

Thanks!

Regards,
kris ('77 MGB)
--
kristopher nelson (krisn@iname.com/krisn@eskimo.com) www.eskimo.com/~krisn
  "We are such stuff / As dreams are made on, and our little life