Re: charging problems #2

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: charging problems #2
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 17:54:47 -0800
Word on the street is that Max Heim said:
> 1. What makes you want to "hard wire" the alternator? Do you think there
> is a problem with the connector? Other than cleaning and tightening, I
> don't see what else you can do to it. Don't join the ranks of DPOs by
> splicing around it.

Can you even do that?  Oh yeah... the alternator has a DC convertor
built in right.

> 2. At what RPM are you measuring the output? LBC alternators don't put
> out enough voltage to charge the battery *at idle*, they need to be run
> at operating speed, I think over 1500 RPM. Letting the car sit and idle
> will *drain* the battery, not charge it.

On my 66 with a generator, the warning lamp goes out at 800 rpm. I
assume that means the voltage difference is at least equal.

> 4. It could be as simple as corroded battery posts and clamps creating
> too much resistance. Even if they look OK, take them off and clean them
> thoroughly until they are bright and shiny.

Yeah, this is a definate item to check.  Lead and Lead oxide look the
same...

Skye

--
1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   http://www.mgb.bc.ca/   (_o____o_)