Re: Charging problems

To: "Steven Miller" <bonding@hotmail.com>, "MGS Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Charging problems
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 15:33:26 -0000
Is your ignition warning light working correctly?  The light is necessary to
supply the initial excitation to the field of the alternator which starts it
charging.  However on a used alternator you may well find that charging will
start anyway but not until 3000 rpm or so.

The ignition warning light should glow when you first turn on the ignition.
Once the engine starts the light should go out over 1000 rpm or so.  Then
when you switch the ignition off the light should glow again until the
engine stops spinning (this may not happen on cars with an ignition relay).
Also check that you have 12v on the thick brown(s) at the alternator plug.

If all that is OK, with the engine running, measure the voltage at the thick
brown at the alternator plug.  If it is still 12v then the alternator is bad

PaulH.