'55 MG TF 1500 RHD - Progress & Just like Christmas!

To: Art Mafli - TF 1500 Owner <AMafli@aol.com>,
Subject: '55 MG TF 1500 RHD - Progress & Just like Christmas!
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:55:56 -0600
Just a quick update on my progress on getting my "new" TF running.  This
morning I thought I would squirt a little ATF in the cylinders and on
the valve train and let it soak while I spent the morning cleaning up
construction debris around our house expansion project.  I found that
one spark plug was broken, the top came right off in my socket -
hopefully that will account for the noise that the previous owner
thought he heard when he parked it. The plugs looked good, no oily
residue at all!  After oil oiling down the engine I thought, just for
the heck of it, I would try and turn the engine over.  Since it turned
out that the front bumper was bent off line so I couldn't use the engine
crank, I just put the car in 4th gear and pushed it -- the engine turned
over immediately!!!  I pushed it through a complete revolution and none
of the valves were sticking.

Since I was on a roll, I thought that I would look at the stuff that I
got with the car.  The floorboard carpets and pads were in a bag stuffed
behind the seats -- all of the carpets are in great shape, they look to
be almost new!  I pulled the bumper out of there cardboard shipping
box.  It turned out that wedged in to this box was a complete set of
front and rear bumper including all four overiders, all of the chrome
bolts and attachment bolts and all of the rubber packing pieces, all in
their original packing just as they were when they were shipped from
Moss Motors back in 1977 -- it was just like Christmas!!!

I also have a complete used transmission still in a shipping crate - I
wonder what that means about the tranny in the car?

I can't wait to play around with the car more this afternoon.  It turns
out that the radiator was dry because the drain plug has been removed
does any one know if the drain plug threads would be the same as the
ones on an early MGB radiator drain plug??  The block drain plug was
open so the engine was properly drained.  It turns out that the lack of
ignition key is not a problem because the wires have been removed from
the ignition switch and wired to an on - off switch under the dash.

Thanks for letting me share my excitement!

Kevin Brown
Odessa, MO