80 MGB Question - more info

Subject: 80 MGB Question - more info
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:33:36 -0600
I visited the 80 MGB at question again today.
After I researched, then Lawrie pointed out, it
does indeed have the vented filler cap where it
shouldn't.

This car has a Weber DGV carb.  I don't know much
about the Weber (I have dual SUs on my 76 with a
working ventilation system).  The rocker cover
vent pipe (stock rocker cover) goes to one of the
canisters (80 Bs have two).  The side cover
(tappet chest) goes to a plastic elbow on the
bottom of the carb.

On the canister closest to the drivers side on the
front port, there is a broken off connection.  It
went to a hose that was plugged up.  If you run
the car w/the vented cap, smoke comes out of the
cap and out of that hole in the canister.  If I
install my non vented cap, no smoke comes from the
cap, but more comes from the canister hole.

This is an 80 w/untouched engine, 77000 miles,
engine seemingly in good shape (good oil pressure,
and no smoke from the exhast ever that I could
tell from driving it).

My job was to try to tackle some of the oil
leaks.  I fixed the rocker cover gasket leak, but
the manifold gasket leaks, the sump gasket leaks,
and the side covers leak.  I'm afraid that if I
fix the leaks and install the non vented cap, it
may leak oil again due to pressures?

Any thoughts on how the Weber is plumbed?

Thanks,

--
Tyson Sherman
76 MGB undergoing heart transplant / engine