A couple more questions about my midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: A couple more questions about my midget
From: BOB HILL <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 18:59:53 -0600 (EST)
Well I finally got the car running this afternoon after much work and
after adjusting the carb, the car runs fairly good (although I still
think I am going to need to rebuild the carb).  THanks for all the replies
to my question on teh timing.

Now I have two other questions that I would appreciate some advice.

1)  THe clutch does not seem to engage.  THe lady I bought it from said
she drove it on Memorial Day and it was runnign fine and it has been
sitting ever since.  I can out the car in gear without any gears grinding
but all it does is jump and kill the engine.  It seems as if instead of
the clutch being frozen, it is simply not engaging.  I have checked the
fluid level and it is good, I have pumped the clutch thinking it might
have air inthe line but neither of these seems to work.  Any thoughts
before tearing down the clutch?

2) After running the car for a few minutes, I noticed a puddle of oil
under the car (probably about an ounce or so).  I looked under the car and
see no place underneath that it appears to be leaking so I looked aroudn
the filter and still no leaks.  The only place that seemed "oily" was
around the dipstick.  Seems to be pumpong alittle around the dipstick
while running.  What would be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

79 MGB
77 Midget