Re: timing questions on Midget

To: oldcars@newt.vallnet.com
Subject: Re: timing questions on Midget
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 12:23:52 -0500
Bob,
  It's easier to do than you think. You need to do what is known as
"static timing".  The timing we do with engines running is called
(properly) dynamic timing, but static was how it was done in  TD, TF
times and it's what you do to locate the beginning point when you get
lost.
  Make a 12v test light- a 12v lightbulb and two 12 inch wires with
alligator clips. Solder one wire to the side of the lamp and the other to
the lead tip.
  Turn engine until #1 piston is at TDC.  You may have to have an
assistant turn the engine with a wrench as you hold your finger over the
sparkplug hole.
  Once at TDC, hook one alligator clip to the wire to the points inside
the distrib. You can also trace that wire back to the coil and connect at
the coil.  The other clip goes to ground.
  Now, turn the distrib anticlockwise until the light goes off.  Slowly
turn the distrib clockwise until the light goes on. That's the place you
want.  Now the distrib will fire at TDC when the engine is stopped, and
that's good enough to get you running, when you can do the more precise
dynamic timing.
Bob