Re: Passing EPA requirements

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Passing EPA requirements
From: JTPAKI@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 22:30:23 EST
Jim

It depends on what they want to see in North Carolina.  If they want to see
the equipment, smog pump, EGR valve and such, then you may have a problem.
If it is just a matter of meeting the CO and Hydrocarbon emissions, then
there may be a chance.  If the 215 has a cam more aggressive than stock, it
may cause a problem.  But if you are relatively stock, you may be able to
meet the "MGB" standards they are looking for from the exhaust by utilizing
an aftermarket CAT or maybe even without the CAT.  B's generally run with
high level idle hydrocarbon emissions close to 750 in the first place.
Similar to a VW beetle.  You should be able to get the V-8 to do better
emissions than the stock B motor.  If thats all they want, then maybe its a
go.  Also check, because some states smog check from the origin of the motor.
 If you tell them its a 62 buick 215, then depending again on the state, they
may smog it based on that criteria and you may be home free.  Also, check to
see if the state has an exempt policy for older cars, usually specified as a
number of years old. (usually 20 or so).