Re: Changing a piston on a TD question

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Changing a piston on a TD question
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:05:34 -0800
Bob,

Yes, you can remove pistons and rods with the engine still in the car.
'Tain't easy but it can be done! (The difficulty is re-inserting the piston
into the bore, past the crankshaft).

However, a word of caution - The breakage of the top land of the piston
suggests to me that the rings were not gapped correctly. If the top ring on
No.4 piston was overlooked, what's to say the other ones were done properly?
So, if you are going to the trouble of removing one, go for them all and
check that the ring gaps are correct.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center