Went and looked at the Midget

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Went and looked at the Midget
From: Bob Hill <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 22:07:52 -0600 (EST)
Well I went and looked at the Midget that I wrote about last night and was
actually pleased wiht what I saw.  FIrst off let me say that the two parts
cars were not worth dragging home in my opinion but I was never really
interested in them anyway.  So for the main vehicle.

1970 Midget, beautiful body and paint job.  The guy is a painter by trade
and this car is gorgeous as far as paint and body goes.  The car is red an
dhas a new black top.  Wire wheels and good tires.  All electrical works
and the interior is fair to good - I would prbably replace most of it
though but it is usable as is.  THe car had been sitting for a while but
it cranked up fairly easily although it does need some carb adjustment.
The engine has 67,000 miles on it, doesn't smoke and seems to have pretty
good power (as well as any 1275 can be expected to have I guess.

Overall the car seemed pretty good HOWEVER (there always seems to be a
however!) the car wants to keep jumping out of 4th gear as you are going
down the road.  It does not jump out each time but it does it on a regular
basis.  So what does that mean?  Total rebuild of transmission or ???  How
hard would it be to just find a good used one and replacing it - do I
have to pull the engine to get to the transmission?

Second question.  I guess I am strange but I do not like the wire wheels -
I prefer the rostyle wheels.  How hard is it to change over to the
rostyles?  I have access to hubs,e tc.  Is this a major ordeal?

THe bottom line is I got the guy down to $1300 for the car and might could
get it for a little less.  Based on what I have told you about the car, is
this a good deal? Especially in consideration that I will have to put a
transmission in the car?

Thanks

Bob