Re: Problem starting

To: James Nazarian Jr <James.Nazarian@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: Problem starting
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:34:36 -0800
Word on the street is that James Nazarian Jr said:
> I know that the choke is all wrong since the car won't idle on it in any
> position but off.  I would love to figure out what I am doing wrong but I
> never get around to looking at it, and besides I don't know what I am
> looking for.  The choke works to richen the mixture, but the fast idle
> part doesn't work the car just sputters and dies.  Any simple thoughts on
> what is wrong, since we're on the topic.

Watch the linkage at the carbs as you rotate the choke shaft; it will
probably become clear how it is supposed to work.  As you may know, the
first half of the choke is supposed to increase the idle speed, while
the second half enriches the mixture.  So at first, when it turns, it
works on the throttle shaft as if you were stepping on the gas, and then
after a point it should hit another gizmo that messes with the jets.

On my carbs, what was wrong was that one of the springs that returns
the mixture richening bits wasn't connected.  Make sure everything returns
and that the choke is operating on both carbs uniformly...

Skye

--
1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   http://www.mgb.bc.ca/   (_o____o_)