Re: Jack Stand location?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jack Stand location?
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:46:12 -0400
I use 6-ton jack stands because they're broader and more stable than the
little 3-ton guys we usually see at auto parts stores.  One other thing - I
have a little ritual.  Each time I get the car up on stands, before going
underneath, I make a SERIOUS effort to push the car off the stands.  I can
never even budge it, but the ritual gives me a bit more piece of mind.  I
know this thread has run before, but it bears repeating: never, NEVER use
subsitutes for real jack stands.  Especially cinder blocks - we know of a
fellow who was killed when the cinder blocks under his Buick disintegrated
while he was underneath.  I know... they look strong - they even hold up
your house, but they won't hold up your car.  Your life is worth the cost
of some sturdy jack stands.

Allen

>From: REwald9535@aol.com
>
>Where you put the stands is a combination of what is available and what you
>are going to work on.  For instance if you are going to work on the
>suspension, you would not put the jack stand under the lower control arm.
>Where ever you put the stands BEFORE you climb under the car grab the
>fender/bumper wiggle, shake, bodycheck, and just generally make damn sure
>that stands are secure before you get under the car.
>I have also found that some jack stands are more secure than others, if you
>can't seem to get your stands to feel secure, try buying a different brand /
>design.
>Rick
>

>In a message dated 12/16/99 10:13:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>JLind@ColoradoSkiing.com writes:
>
>> When working on the front of the car, I always put the jack stands beneath
>>  the front cross member.  This seems to be my only choice of locations, but
>>  don't feel very comfortable with it because it's not really biting onto
>>  anything--the stands are just resting on a flat, oily piece of steel and
>are
>>  very close to each other.  But unless I'm missing something, this is my
>only
>>  choice of locations.

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-m-gmg-mg-mg

Allen Bachelder
'73 B - "done"
'76 B - daily driver
'73 GT - awaiting front wings
'65 B shell - awaiting paint
'67 GT - awaiting everthing
'57 ZB - parts car or resto-candidate? - awaiting decision
'49 YT - in "progress"

mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg