Re: grounding MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: grounding MGB
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 02:40:20 EST
Remember that when it comes to electrics, there are two very distinctly
different cars.. Metal dash (generator, positive ground) and plastic
dash.(alternator, negative ground, different instrument sizes) Other than the
general perversities, some of the details are very different, and answers
appropriate to plastic dash cars are often not even close to helpful for
early cars. Always make sure you are using the appropriate wiring diagrams
and other details, it does matter a lot. (as you can see reading the "Haynes
manual" posts..)

To answer the question, on the steel dash car the small lugs on the harness
ground to Each Instrument. Every one of your gauges is mounted to the dash
via 2 metal clips that slide  down threaded studs protruding from the rear of
the instrument and are fastened by knurled nuts and washers. Grounding takes
place via slipping a ground lug under the the knurled nut and washer before
installing, one per instrument. (use which ever side of the instrument that
works best for the wiring harness) This causes the instrument and harness
both to ground to the dash at that point. The dash then grounds into the
shell via the numerous 1/4 in . mounting bolts that hold it in place. There
are several places on the firewall where there are holes for mounting the
clips that hold the harness physically in place to keep things tidy.  Do make
sure the rear side of the dash isn't corroded around the instument mounting
holes before you put it all together, or you will later curse both the day
you and joseph lucas were born...
While you're in there, be aware that you can choose to use either the 3
position toggle switch for your lights, or use the 3 position pull switch as
found on the late 66 and all 67 cars.
Also, if you have a late enough 65 to have an electric tach, be careful with
the white wires going to the tach pick-up loop and ignition switch, as they
go directly to the points. The wire from the tach  to the points doesn't
really re-enter the harness, and I one had a B where the wire was trapped
betwixt the metal choke cable housing and a loosely installed -dpo-bmc radio.
The chaffing eventually brought about a sudden halt and the smell of burnt
wires... late at night, only a mile from home but in 30mph winds and 35'
temps.. Now that wire gets extra protection on my cars via layers of heat
shrink tubing, careful routing, and overlay of duct tape. (Fool me once, .etc)
Cheers