Emissions in Illinois

To: mgs@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Emissions in Illinois
From: GMGoodman@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:35:02 EST
My 72 B will have to go through emissions this year.  In the past I would
detune...hobble in ....pass the test...drive a block ...reset timing and
carbs and be happy till next time...would do this forever but now Illinois
does not let the driver sit in the car...they drive it in, and spin the
wheels to test.  So the old method is gone.  Now ...do I sell my car that I
love and have brought back from near death over the last 10 years , and buy a
older car.....if I get antique insurance and plates will that get me out of
testing...If I drop in a pre 69 engine will that get me out of it...if I
change the engine serial number to reflect pre testing manufacture,might that
get me past testing procedure...Do I break the law and change the VIN  ... I
want to be legal...anyone know how to help me in Illinois?      Thanks
Jerry