re:grounding 71mgb

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re:grounding 71mgb
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 02:21:00 EST
paul.hunt1@virgin.net writes:

<<
 > Remember that when it comes to electrics, there are two very distinctly
 > different cars.. Metal dash (generator, positive ground) and plastic
 > dash.(alternator, negative ground, different instrument sizes)

 Only in North America.  The Rest of the World used metal dash for the life
 of the car.
 <<<  Forgive my regional bias, I have the bad habit of assuming the list is
populated only by us colonials.(though I did mention the alternator/generator
difference as well..)  But anyway, There is no "Rest of the World." In fact,
where I live it is only a rumor that there is any life at all east of
Denver...   :-)

 > To answer the question, on the steel dash car the small lugs on the
 harness
 > ground to Each Instrument. Every one of your gauges is mounted to the dash
 > via 2 metal clips that slide  down threaded studs protruding from the rear
 of
 > the instrument and are fastened by knurled nuts and washers. Grounding
 takes
 > place via slipping a ground lug under the the knurled nut and washer
 before
 > installing, one per instrument. (use which ever side of the instrument
 that
 > works best for the wiring harness) This causes the instrument and harness
 > both to ground to the dash at that point.

 The harness is grounded elsewhere and that is how the instruments (and the
 wipers etc) are grounded.  Any grounding via the dash is purely
 coincidental. >>

<<< Right you are. To a certain point. Bear in mind, for example, that a
typical radio installation uses the dash for ground for the radio and the
fender for ground for the antenna. If your ground strap is missing across the
engine mounts, the dashboard becomes a quite high current ground for the
starter via the choke cable, and a very effective one indeed... for as long
as the choke cable lasts!
 The ground wires in the B (and other lbcs) harness are not exactly high
current devices, nor do they have reliable connection structures. . Further,
considering the normal current  (pun intended) state of most wiring
harnesses, and the inevitable future state of the rest of them, grounds are
ground where ever they are found! (ah, poetic besides!) Best take whatever
circumstances give you.
(I apologize for Conducting myself in such a Resistive manner towards the
Current discussion. Yes, my flame suit is on...)
BTW don't use the "stock" location for the harness ground in the trunk, which
is the trunk latch screw. Many a malfuction in this region has been traced to
this little gem of a brainless idea. Best drill your own hole for a ground
bolt, or find something else in the neighborhood that has more substance and
less tendancy to work loose!