RE: superchargers

To: Neil Sherry <sherry@invention-machine.co.uk>
Subject: RE: superchargers
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:11:24 -0800
Neil:

        Current supercharger technology uses a recirculating system for off
boost conditions on many units.  The vanes spin merrily without pressurising
anything.  No pressure, little drag.  There are slight mechanical losses due
to bearings, belt and tensioner.  When vacuum drops due to the throttle
opening, a vacuum operated valve recirculation valve closes allowing the
boost to build.  Since the vanes are already spinning, boost build up is
related to how fast the valve closes.  Valve closure is related directly to
engine vacuum drop.

        This system gives a smooth boost which comes on under demand.

Kelvin.