Re: Oil Filter Adapter

To: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.), MG Board <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Filter Adapter
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 20:01:16
At 11:03 AM 12/24/99 -0900, Gregg Baker wrote:
>.... tried unsuccessfully to install Moss part #235-940 (pg A40) on my
1500 MGA engine. .... My engine is an early one (BP15GB 1444) .... The pipe
assembly from block to adapter isn't even close to fitting with the adapter
installed.

Early MGA 1500 used a one piece oil filter housing with one o-ring so you
had to remove the pipe to change the filter.  After engine number GB26932
it was changed to a 2-piece housing with two o-rings where the upper part
of the housing and the pipe could stay attached to the engine when you
remove the canister to change the filter.  To fit the spin-on adapter you
have to use the pipe from the later cars.  Or maybe install an oil cooler
with hoses (like you might really need that in Alaska).  Or you could use
the flexibe pipe/hose (Moss 435-585) intended for the late model MGB that
did not originally have an oil cooler.

BTW Gregg, I have a spare of the proper steel pipe that you could use.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg