Need rear end advice

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need rear end advice
From: "Douglas B. Gaither" <dbgaither@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 11:41:57 -0800
Okay,

I'm restoring my '66B to be a daily driver.  I'm not looking for a race car,
only a comfortable reliable MGB.  I've only driven it around the block
before it stopped (3 years ago) so I don't have actual performance data.
I've got my rear end off and cleaned up.  The lever shocks are still good.
I need help in three things:

1) The leaf springs are rusty (not real bad) and may be the originals, how
do I tell if they need replacement?  If I keep them, do I just clean the
rust off and paint them?

2)  Those rubber restraining straps look kinda tired, how crucial is it that
I replace them?

3)  What do I do to the differential?  Just replace the fluid and gaskets?
I've heard they are pretty rugged, should I just rectify problems here if
and when they appear?

TIA,

Doug Gaither