Jacking on the differential - which bit ?

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jacking on the differential - which bit ?
From: "Louis Mehr (EML)" <Louis.Mehr@eml.ericsson.se>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:24:26 +0100
Good Morning MG World,

This must be a fairly  stupid question but here goes anyway ...

I want to jack the entire car up so that I can treat the underside of it.

The front is no problem - I jack the car up on the cross member and place axle
stands under the wishbone pivots (just like I saw in the book "MG Owneres
Survival Guide").

The rear is more awkward.

It seems to be standard practice to jack up the rear of the car on the diff and
then support the car with axle stands.

It's not clear to me though which part of the diff to use the trolley jack on.

The part at the rear, although it should be stronger,  seems awfully narrow
and the car could easily slip off during jacking.

The part to the front is inclined but  by jacking here I would guess that there
would be a danger of placing  excessive stress on the diff housing.

I think the answer is probably to jack on the rear of the diff with extreme
caution then get the rear on axle stands and then do the front to minimise
risk if the car should fall whilst jacking the rear.

Please confirm.

Thanks

Louis Mehr
Manchester