RE: What's the big deal about kingpins?

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: RE: What's the big deal about kingpins?
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:02:37 -0800
Charles:

        A couple of answers to your questions.

> What is it about the kingpins that make them so dificult to
> rebuild?  And
> thus so expensive?  Isn't the challenge simply the reaming of
> the bushings,
> something that a machinist could do in about five minutes?

        The kingpins are not difficult to rebuild.  The correct piloted
reamer makes the sizing of the bushing pretty easy.  Setting up the correct
shims takes time and is thus labor intensive, read expensive.  A good
machine shop should be able to ream the bushes, but not easily as they have
different sizes.

> And on that subject, why is the reaming bit offered in the
> Moss catalog so
> expensive?

        The piloted reaming bit is purpose made for the MGB by Churchill
Tools of England.  It is not a mass produced item and is of machinists
quality.  Good quality tools are not cheap.
        It is offered for those enthusiasts, or clubs who want to have the
tool available without having to source it directly from the UK.  It is not
a high margin, high profit fast moving item.

> next year or so, and I was wondering if there is a way to use
> a combination
> of other drill bits or router bits to accomplish the same result.

        Ok, I'm going to be sarcastic.  Given enough time, you can build a
full scale replica steam engine with drill and router bits.  I'm sure
someone has done it.

> Or is the kingpin concept so complex and daunting that I am
> deluding myself?
> I know that the shop manual recommends having my approved BMC
> mechanic do
> such work, but haven't they all fossilized by now?

        No, there are still a few that are let out of the home once in a
while.  Lawrie, you out there?

        Seriously.  I'm sure there are a number of people on this list that
can recomend reputable companies that can set up the kingpins for you.  It's
the type of job that is easier to farm out, than beat on at home.  It is not
rocket science.  See if you can find someone that will press the bushes then
ream them with the proper tool.

regards

Kelvin.