Dream Stable (WAS Re: Jag, now economy!)

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dream Stable (WAS Re: Jag, now economy!)
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 08:32:26 -0500
Well, here's my list:

'77 MG Midget (got that)  For carefree fun, not so rare or valuable that
I'm worried to drive/park it wherever, unique enough to get some
attention.
'58 MG ZB Magnette (believe it or not, got that, too, though it's really
my wife's car)  Comfortable, fun to drive, no air conditioning, but
classy and anachrinistic enough to tickle me.  Carries 4 adults and a
load of luggase as well!
Caterham 7 (someday) Preferably built by yours truly from one of the
kits, powered by (horrors!) a Saturn DOHC.  (Sacrelige perhaps, but I
think Colin Chapman would have loved that powerplant.  Largely aluminum
so light weight, unique manufacturing process, nicely tweakable, and
with a significant power-to-weight ratio.)
SAAB Sonett III (someday) Little bitty pocket rocket.  Designed by a
refugee from the aircraft division and it looks it.  Unusual engine
(V4), but parts availability is pretty good (the same powerplant is
still used in some Caterpillar forklifts, though powered by LPG or
propane), was a SERIOUS rally car in it's day, and is just plain wierd.

I actually have a list of cars that I decided on when I was 17, and I
wanted to own sometime during my life (though not necessarily all at the
same time):

MG TF
MG Midget (got it)
MGB GT
Fiat 124 Spyder (had one, loved it, had to sell it)
Fiat X-1/9 (had one, loved it, glad a friend owns it now)
Lotus Super 7 or Caterham 7
Lotus Europa
SAAB Sonett III

The Magnette wasn't on my list at 17, but my parents had owned one until
I was about 3, so I was too young when I first experienced the car to
really appreciate it.  Now that I've driven one, it's on my list, and
it's a keeper!