RE: Speedo cable rerouting...

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedo cable rerouting...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:40:53 -0800
Tony Woodruff had this to say:

>...I was under the impression that the right-angle drives were only fitted to
>OD transmissions.  Is this not normally true?

I don't know about that. I have a right angle drive laying around that I
removed, but I don't recall if it came off my OD trans (currently
installed) or the original one. At any rate, it doesn't seem to be really
necessary either way, with the proper cable.

Moss shows it for all models, 62-80, same part number. The cable is
different for OD and non-OD, though... I would assume the OD cable is the
longer one since it costs more -- but you know what they say about
assuming...

>And on another subject.......
>
>Also, I've been dying to know for months now.....is my car (67 MGB
>Roadster) supposed to have a "self-cancelling" turn signal switch?  I
>don't mind turning it off manually, but I've been meaning to ask!

Yeah, they are *supposed* to self cancel. The nylon casting which held
all the springs, etc, in my '66 was crumbling with age. When I tried to
examine it to diagnose various shortcomings (that included) it basically
fell apart. The new one works properly all around. It isn't perhaps quite
as aggressive about self cancelling as a modern car, but it does do it.
You might want to check yours out. The replacement is pretty expensive,
however.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149