Re: Safety Fast

To: bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Safety Fast
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:07:21 EST
In a message dated 1/17/00 6:49:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com writes:

<< The slogan was first used by MG in 1929. It was devised by publicity
 manager for MG, George Tuck. The story goes that one day George was behind
 a bus in Oxford ( where the cars were still made before moving to Abingdon)
 when he noticed a sign on the bus which read "Safety First"  ( It seemed
 the bus had the latest innovation for the bus line, four wheel brakes!)
 George suggested it to Cecil Kimber, with the change "Safety Fast"  Kimber
 loved it as it also tied in with the recent Parliamentary election where
 Stanley Baldwin's Conservative government won on the slogan "Safety First"

 Since then, Safety Fast has always been used by the MG Company. ( And of
 course is the name of the magazine which is published by the MG Car Club (UK)

 More than you wanted to know?  Probably, but this is the crazy stuff that
 makes MG history so great. >>

Thank you, Mike.  This list is great.  Just ask and ye shall receive.

Speedvision has been recycling the MG shows again, and last night I watched
part 1 of the Mini Cooper story.  Since Speedvision isn't listed in my local
newspaper, I have to catch the shows when I can.  I suppose they have their
own publication with all the schedules or I could get them from the web, but
I'm such a lazy creature in the winter!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget