Engine Noise Again

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Noise Again
From: Randy <rap@palmnet.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:04:20 -0800
Hi List,

I was really impressed by the response. In a matter of hours I had five
things:

I did run the engine against opinion, but did not know how to get more
accurate information.
The engine starts fine. Oil pressure is above the first dash mark
before the 50. It took 35 seconds to register on the meter. The noise is

a sharp loud tap that does not get louder in the minute I ran the
engine. It does increase in rhythm with rpm.

I have only removed the valve cover. Did not have a clue what to look
for except a loose bolt. There is plastic on the inside of the valve
cover where the hold down bolts go through. Both were broken at an angle

and the pieces of plastic I retrieved. They were laying inside the valve

cover. There are washer type things on top of the springs, one was
missing about 20%. The break line was jagged, broken part was not
visible.

So as you may have noticed, I am a 47 year old wantabe motor head that
thought I could remove a few items and fix this puppy. I can find no one

in my Melbourne, Florida area that has any idea about MG's. Can't  find
anyone to even balance my wire wheels. Spent $45 for a balance job that
told me all my original wheels were bent and two tons of weight may make

thing fine. Needles to say, I had to stop and pry off the weights to ge
home. I then used the old pencil and support to check the roundness and
wobble. It showed true within a sixteenth of an inch.

Thanks for the help and additional information.

Once again,
Randy